Friday, February 4, 2011

And I Left...


One final look, one final gaze upon the pricy high rises, the crowded gas station, the greasy spoon doling out delicious, dangerous globs of grease to those who could afford a little bit more fat lining their arteries, the health food store trying to turn back the tide, all would be things far removed from my reality as soon as I stepped out the door. All would be left behind me as I rode past them in my cab.

After taking care of some business which has plagued me for the last month, I felt alleviated that it was finalized. Nothing tied me down to Sherbrooke anymore but a certain lingering sense of belonging, leaving behind the people I've come to know, the places I've come to haunt. Feeling a light sting, knowing I wouldn't see good friends for months, but also knowing that those months would be an experience impossible to live here.

My lift met me at the Sherbrooke mall. Luckily, or rather unluckily for him, his other clients didn't show up. I had more room for my overpacked bags, he less money for gas. We made it to Montreal just after nightfall. Snow was falling softly as I grabbed a taxi to my friend's place up town, dropped my bags off and ran for the nearest subway station. Of course, it's a bit rude to do so, but I had an important appointment that could not be put off any longer.

Finally meeting up with my uncle Ricky, in downtown Montreal, we went off to eat at what I knew was the best smoked meat place in town. I was sure he'd appreciate it, being a smoked meat connaisseur. Easy to say that the food was easier to swallow than the bill.

After walking around St-Laurent, a quick coffee and a fruitless wait at what we though was a trendy dessert place (We settled on Tim's instead), Ricky brought me right down to the docks and showed me around the ship. Apparently it was sailing around the Phillipines for the last 5 years, I had no trouble believing it.

Finally, when it came time to say goodbye at the subway station, a hearty shake and some kind words and I left.

Returning to my gracious hosts, we watched movies, I played songs, just a generally relaxing night.

The next day, I was invited to an all you can eat Sushi place by my host, Max. Of course, I couldn't turn it down and I was wise not to. We were bursting by the time we left, full of miso soup, sushi, dumplings and some things I could barely pronounce. Funny, I thought I had eaten enough japanese food to start speaking jap.

As soon as I was done, I rushed for the airport only to get stuck in traffic, it felt like a huge parking lot that went on for miles and miles. Thanks to that, I had missed my flight.

Angry, pissed and in the midst of a lot of hate, both of self and of Montreal, I admitted defeat and returned to my friends', who was kind enough to welcome me back with open arms.

The following days were uneventful, mostly making more preparations, changing my ticket and booking hostels. Of course, I made the best of it and managed to meet another dear old friend of mine, Thomas Dufour. If anyone's wondering, he's doing alright, still drawing and working when he can. His last job was with Sida du Québec, basically helping out the foundation any way he could.

The days passed slowly, as my flight date came closer and closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment